5/5/11

Day 64 May 3, 2011 Total Mileage: 2,536 Today: 81 miles

On the Road Again... Cycled from west of Miami, AZ to somewhere in Phoenix, AZ. 
Today's starting point

Man, did I have a great day!  The wind was with me most of the day or at least never against me… well there was that one time when entering the Queen Creek Tunnel.  The wind was blowing through the tunnel so hard I did not think I was going to be able to peddle through, luckily it was down hill, so I had some momentum.  David drove behind me (Thanks Mark R for the heads up on this one). David said he could not see me for a while when we were in the middle of the tunnel. I had a difficult time see also, should have taken my sunglasses off… thank goodness it was not too long - about ¼ miles. 
Very shy gray cat at the hotel in Globe, AZ
I had gone 35-miles by the time David and I met for lunch at 10:00 am, so I figured I’d go for 60-miles for sure and I wanted to take advantage of my good fortune. Then at about 62 miles, I started a new (the last) map section and the miles just kept rolling along.  Of course I was off route most of the time I was in the city, but I found the Arizona Canal and just followed that to my end point.  I was exhausted when I finished or maybe I had  heat exhaustion, the temperature today was in the 90’s. I was light-headed when I stopped and actually plopped down in some shade at the end of the trail to call David to meet me.  My wonderful husband booked a motel room for tonight… where’s that beer??

Cactus in bloom


Between a rock and a hard place

Views from the road

2 comments:

  1. Jo Ann,

    81 miles, no wonder you were light headed! I am in total awe of your cycling across country! You go girl because you are almost there - less than 500 miles! Ride on and we will sail on when you get back!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work, I would love to see a cactus bloom.

    ReplyDelete