5/15/11

Returning home – It’s the journey, not “The Plan”

Due to the shear number of disaster occurring around the country, David and I felt that it was important to get back to our jobs with the American Red Cross Disaster Services.  So we were not able to visit with Janice and Jim in San Fransisco or arrange to ride in a few additional states on our way back to the Cleveland, Ohio area.  We headed back, driving straight through, non-stop. 
Brown Subaru in Amarillo, TX

  • Well, except for that one stop in Amarillo, TX… at Brown Subaru dealership.  We met, Jerry, Assistant Manager and Jose, Mechanic Extraordinaire, talk about exceeding the customer’s expectations… What might have taken a week to complete, Jerry and Jose were able to complete in about 4-hours.


Jose, Mechanic Extraordinaire
So we are now back in Cleveland and David is heading for Alabama and I will probably be leaving soon for another disaster site.
Some have asked if I would do this again… my answer, YES!  In a minute -- going WEST to EAST…  I would rather ride another route TransAmerica Trail or Northern Tier just to have a different experience.  This ride has been a wonderful experience, confirming my belief that the world is full of “good” people, doing “good” things, and now realize there are a lot more “crazy” people out there, like me, who love the pace of cycling long distances.
Acknowledgements: 
First and foremost I thank David for being so supportive, and for believing in me, even when I did not believe in myself – My most wonderful husband and prince.
My parents (Jim and Ruby) for their role in creating the person I am today, for the experiences and opportunities that their love and sacrifices made possible.
David’s parents (Roy and Eleanor) for their support both in the details and in spirit.  And for their role in creating the person David is today!
Ariel and Amber, thank you for the motivation to create this blog, as a way to inspire you both to create and follow your own dreams -- dream big!
Friends, family, co-workers, followers and total strangers, each one of you played a role in the success and enjoyment of this ride.
Life Lessons:
1) God is good in all he does.  And God has been good to me! 
All of nature, the earth, the universe… is singing God’s praises.  There is a symphony being performed in ever moment and we each have our part.
2) Everything is perfect, whole and complete; even when I don’t see it that way.
3) In every day, and every moment I have a choice and if I choose not to choose, it’s still a choice.
This is “my ride” and it is my choice on where I go, how I get there and what I experience.  Other people have their own rides and make their own choices – and those are “not my ride” and yet they are perfect for that person.
4) Live in “what is so” – Reality vs. what should be, ought to be, etc.
There is an optical illusion that occurred for me several times while riding in the hills and mountains especially out west.  It would appear that the road I was cycling on was going downhill and yet when I geared my bike to go downhill it was a struggle to peddle… I would rant “it should not be this hard,” and I would tough my way through this, peddling harder, working harder…  “What was so” is the road was going uphill.
What I learned was to work with “what is so,” whether I thought it was right or true or not. I learned to adjust to what worked.  I learned to trust the feeling in my muscles and the speed on my speedometer, rather than view the optical illusion as real and exerting energy and time complaining about how this looks and thus should be and why isn’t this easier and what’s wrong.
5) Nothing is significant and everything is significant… Live to the fullest!  And enjoy “Your ride”…

1966DreamTour@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. And all God's children said Amen!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo Ann. Your message really inspires and makes a difference for me. I'm glad I know someone who is following her dreams!

    ReplyDelete