5/11/11

Day 70 MAY 9, 2011 Total Mileage: 2,841 Today: 68 miles

Switched things up today… Cycled from Oak Spring, CA to El Centro, CA
With a wind advisory in effect (25-35 mph winds, WSW); I thought of taking the day off – being so close to the end, David was not in for that idea; so I started at the West end of today’s route.  Sounded good to me, gave me a great big down hill vs. up hill (2500 ft elevation drop in a very short distance)! 


Cold weather gear required in California?

Well, of course there’s a story…  The temperature in the mountains was 39oF, and the gray clouds concealed the mountaintops; when we left El Centro it was a brisk 65oF.  On the ride down, there was freezing rain off and on, just enough to soak through my clothes. While the rain was taking a break a coyote crossed the road just in front of me.  Reminding me of a dream/nightmare I had a couple of nights ago… a pack of coyotes chasing me on my bike – glad that did not happen. 



Not a lot of tree, but yucca &sage

Amazing, boulders in piles,  like pebbles on the beach!


2nd highest point on Olde Hwy 80

The route required that I ride down I-8 for a while, and warned of high winds for the next 18-miles.  I have never, ever experienced anything like this ride… I was going 41-mph before I passed the sign warning trucks of the steep grade and truck speed limit of 35 mph!  Moments later I came to a near stop because the wind had shifted to in front of me.  I was riding sideways, leaning into the wind… until it shifted or a bus/RV passed, then I’d get sucked toward their lane.  When there was a cut/gap in the mountains I had to stop riding and just hold on (to my bike, thinking heavy thoughts).  There were many times I felt as if I would be pushed over the edge or out into traffic or when standing/walking - lifted off my feet.  David followed me as much as he could, gave me a break once or twice by using the car to block some wind.  (Sorry, no pictures, survivial was the top thing on our minds)

The road ahead


Once I reached the bottom and the desert open up around, I was able to ride nearly 20-miles without peddling… the wind was blowing me down the road – Bike sailing!  This cycling East is way easier!  There’s no way I could have ridden west today.  The wind is predicted to be blowing again tomorrow.


Hay Barn in California
 Stayed in the El Centro again tonight, same hotel, same room.











No comments:

Post a Comment