4/3/11

Day 31, March 31, 2011, Thursday Total Mileage 1342, Today 42 miles


I cycled out of camp (Buescher Texas State Park) this morning about 8:45am; it was a bit chilly again, but sunny; it warmed up to the Mid-70’s in the afternoon. 


It’s amazing how quickly I create expectations for my experiences.  I saw this sign, (in picture), I had read that this road had been built by the original CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) back in the 1930’s and that it connected two Texas State Parks (Buescher and Bastrop).  From that I expected this to be steep, curvy, tranquil, and remote ride; I imagined a morning meditation in motion.  It was all that for about 10-minutes, then the traffic started coming out of the woods (almost literally); ends up there’s a medical research center about 2-miles in and at 3-miles the park was doing some road maintenance.  When the large tractor, etc. came through I decided to pull over and let them pass.  Then I could be back to my peaceful feelings and thoughts… until I came around a corner and there was ranger's truck with lights flashing, blocking the road way… the maintenance required the road to be closed… luckily I was allowed to continue through as they were just getting set up.  

After about a mile I was back to quietude.  It was a lovely morning but while all the trafficwas going by I was not a happy camper (or cyclist).  It took me a while to realize my upset was coming from “unfulfilled expectations”; once I figured that out, I could let it go and be pleasant to the rangers and workers.













The GPS and I just were not getting along today.  I switch back and forth from using the maps I purchased from Adventure Cycling Assoc. to the GPS, which David has programmed with the Adventure Cycling way-points; many times these match, but not always. So just outside of the Bastrop Park I was getting a bit confused by the GPS way-point locations, then the "continue on route commands"… always seems the way-point is off the route, to the left, in the busiest intersections.  I have circled historical Bastrop at least twice today, following the recalculated instructions from the GPS. 

The other thing you need to know is that the GPS uses David’s voice to give commands.  Well, I finally had a meltdown after riding along a 4-lane highway, with “David” telling me to turn left (in to traffic) about 10-times and him saying “uhhh, recalculating” just as many times.  So I am now no longer sure where I am or if I am on the ACA route, so I call David and he has the nerve to ask me where I am!  He’s the one that’s been telling me where to go all morning! 
Not all roads are pristine

David does find me and gives me lunch, then stays with me nearly turn by turn for a while.  But as fate would have it, the GPS battery is discharge as well as, the cell phone battery.  I am suppose to meet him at the American Red Cross, Disaster Services Maintenance Center (DSMC) that’s just off-route… yes, you guessed it, I don’t know the address only a vague location and all the buildings look the same.  Somehow I stumble upon it and David is not there yet?  Thanks to Lorraine, at the front desk she gets me David’s cell phone number, just as he pulls into the driveway. 

We spent the rest of the afternoon talking and hangout the DSMC… ok David was helping with a project and I was hangout! 


4 comments:

  1. Jo Ann,
    You're channeling your inner Buddha with the comment on figuring out your unfulfilled expectations and then letting them go.

    And as I read the GPS section I was hoping you had changed the voice to one you would be happy to hear from! I'm thinking this trip could be an analogy for so many things...here's hoping you continue to write even after you stop riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jo Ann,

    I am admire the punctuality of your blogging...I'm doomed to be forever behind. The latest post features our dinner at the Rock'n E RV Park.

    http://doctorbobsbikeblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/day-15-3272011-silsbee-tx-to-camilla-tx.html

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Ann,

    It sounds like you had an interesting day. We missed you Saturday night at the windsurfing dinner where you were the topic of conversation! You go girl and make sure that your GPS is programed properly in the future. Ride on!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once in a while, you need a bad day to appreciate the good ones. One of my mantras was, "it'll be ok". It was always true.

    MDR

    ReplyDelete