4/7/11

Day 36 April 5 2011 Tuesday Total Mileage: 1510 Today: 52 Miles


It was very cold last night, when we woke up it was 41oF, we’d pulled out the sleeping bag and long pants, and so we were comfortable.  As David popped the Chuck Wagon door this morning, we saw the biggest rabbit I’ve ever seen grazing at the campsite next to us; it was a Jack Rabbit.

The day warmed up into the 70’s and it was sunny all day.  I was on back roads with little traffic for most of the day.  I am starting to get a feeling of how big Texas really is; there are fences that go on for miles and miles.  Some of these fences are quite high/tall, cannot help but wonder what they are keeping in…





So I’ve pretty much reached the halfway point… Yeah!  It is really hard to believe that I’ve come this far and been gone this long.  The physical aspect of riding is very similar to my experience training for and running a marathon: pace yourself and I may not be able to run 26.2 miles (or cycle across the country) but I can make it to the next telephone post or mailbox or crack in the sidewalk (or cycle 5 more miles or to the next town or to the next telephone pole).  It really is impossible, but by moving forward even a little bit, I ultimately reach my goal.  I am grateful God has blessed me with the physical ability, a husband that supports and pampers me and friends and family that support and encourage me. Your comments and emails have really been heartening and given me confidence to continue.

 We stayed at Lost Maples Texas State Natural Area, near Vanderpool, Texas.  So apparently these Big Tooth Maple trees are leftover from the last glaciers, hidden away in remote valleys of the hill country of Texas.  This area is very busy in the fall, when the trees display colors “rivaling any found in New England.”  But this time of year it is still beautiful to me; with steep, rugged limestone canyons, plateau grasslands, wooded slopes full of spring flowers and clear streams.




Talk about a wrong turn, I was sure I was lost... darn GPS. Toto, this doesn't look like Texas anymore!

Easter Island


Stone Hedge

So pretty much I followed the river most of the day, it was ever changing...

Guadalopa River, Kerrville
Joan, these islands reminded me of our Canadian Canoe Trip...


Same river 40-miles down stream

Catus in bloom


Texas goats are more timid than MI or AL goats

3 comments:

  1. It seems like we were just congratulating you for 1,000 miles and now it's 1,500! You are doing such a great job, telephone pole by telephone pole you will make it!! Great pictures, what interesting sights you are seeing. Thanks keeping your blog so dilligently, I feel like I'm there with you cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! You are 1/2 way to your goal. I really look forward to reading your progress every morning and feel slighted when there is no update! Keep up the great work and ride on!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we LOVE Texas! I'm enjoying your photos so much. And I am in total awe that you've made it this far. Soon you'll reach the Continental Divide and then it's all downhill :-)

    ReplyDelete