4/15/11

Day 43 April 12, 2011 Tuesday Total Mileage: 1856 Today 76 miles

So apparently the wind was with me today… I sailed (rode) for about 6-hours.  Went from 20-miles East of Marathon, Tx to Fort Davis, Tx. 

When I was passing through Marathon (elevation: 4,056 feet; population: 381) I met the Adventure Cycling Assocation group at a gas station and at the Burnt Biscuit Bakery.  There were 11 cyclist and 2 guides, headed East.  This is the group I almost went with, except David volunteered to support and pamper me for about the same price… no real choice there! 



Does anyone remember when I wanted to operate a bed-n-breakfast? You may also remember I wanted to call it the Burnt Biscuit B&B. Well Marathon, Tx has Shirley’s Burnt Biscuit Bakery, the busiest place in town this morning.  You know, I did not smell anything burning in Shirley’s place… everything looked good and my "fried pie" was great.


Yard Art or roping practice

I made it to Alpine, Tx (elevation: 4,475 feet;  population: 6,560) at about 2:00 pm and the wind was still with me so I continued on… then I was about 10-miles out from Fort Davis (elevation 5,050 feet; population: 1,050) and decide to go for it… Thank goodness for the wind.

Ft Davis, was still cleaning up from the wildfires that took out the East side of town (27 homes), the State Park was still closed as there where hot spots that were being tended.

Burnt range
 
House spared from wild fires


David says this is run off from all the water used to fight fires
 
Camp 43 in Downtown Ft Davis


3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! 76 miles! That's just crazy! You're coming up on the 2000 mile mark... Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo Ann,

    I can't believe you rode for 76 miles. AWESOME!!! Since the wind was in your favor I'm sure that windsurfing was on your mind. I am looking forward to the time we will share on the water this summer. You are almost 2/3 of the way to your goal and sunny San Siego. Ride on! By the way, we all know you made the right chioce by having David support and pamper you.

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a dream that I didn't recognize you -- a strong, wiry cyclist in a helmet. Then you opened a beer...Seriously -- I so proud of you. I also want to know how David got back to the car when he did the pajama ride last week.

    ReplyDelete