4/20/11

Day 48 April 17, 2011 Sunday, Total Mileage: 2073 Today: 33 Miles

God uses set backs to move us forward
 All did not go well today.  At about 1.1 miles into this (beautiful, cool, no wind) morning’s ride in the middle of the road stood the “Monster Chihuahua”.  I was prepared, as just moments before two larger dogs had been chasing me.  With water bottle at the ready, I was thinking no way am I going to squirt this little dog.  Then suddenly, he darted in front of me… what else could I do but… throw myself at him?  Before I knew what happened, I was bouncing on the ground face first, watching my water bottle roll down the street .  Dogs 2: Jo Ann 0  (I really like dogs, I am not sure why they are so much of a problem for me now)  When I saw blood and could not get my handle bars twisted back around, I called David and he was there in a minute. I got back on my bike, with David running interference in the Chuck Wagon (which by the way, dogs do not run after like in the advertisments) with the other dogs in the neighborhood.  I struggled on for about 5-miles, until I came to where David was waiting and called it a day, as my right shoulder/arm was aching.  David, the knight that he is, got a room at the motel down the street and I iced my shoulder/arm and took ibuprofen.  (Note to self: Water bottle in left-hand, brake with right-hand.)
By noon, I felt better and was really anxious about getting through El Paso on Sunday, when traffic was lighter; so I went out on the road again.  I got most of the way through El Paso and hope to be in New Mexico on Tuesday.  We are taking a rest/recuperation day on Monday in El Paso, Tx (elevation: 3,740 feet, population: 51,5342).  The extremes I must go to, to get a day off!
Pecan Grove & Glossy Ibis
WARNNG: The photo below contains graphic content not suitable for the queasy!





4 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Ouch! I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how did the little dog fare in the incident??? I hope you aren't aching too much and that you recover quickly. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Ann,

    You are really a trooper! Ride on, carefully! Hopefully, things will improve once you are out of Texas and in New Mexico.

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. The “Monster Chihuahua” is fine. He/She ran back through the hole in his fence and barked at us from his/her porch. Hope I taught he/she a lesson; not to go out into the street.
    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete