4/18/11

Day 46 April 15, 2011 Friday, Total Mileage: 1975 Today: 67 Miles


Today the wind was light, for the first 2-hours it was from the East (helpful when traveling West).  Again the temperature was in the 70’s and nothing but blue skies!

I traveled from Kent, Tx (elevation: 2,116 feet; population: less than 60) to Sierra Blanca, Tx (elevation: 4,528 feet; population: 460)

I spent a bit of time on the freeway today... I didn't realize the speed limit was 80 mph (only in this part of Texas) until I saw this sign!  The truckers are mostly respectful (safety conscious) and pull over into the other lane when they can; when they cannot, I get a big pull forward from their slipstream. 

I have become a "road surface snob" after nearly 2000 miles – I really prefer concrete or near pure asphalt with no gravel or chunks of stuff.  I seem to go much faster and my butt feels much better.  In many States the surface changes from county to county or municipality - so if I get on a surface that does not feel good, I know if I keep going it will change.  In Texas it does not change (I've been on Farm Roads mostly) unless I get on the freeways -- I really do not like the ratio of gravel/chunks to asphalt they use on their Farm Roads.  Sorry, since I no longer complaining about the wind or the hills I'm inclined to complain about something else.

I met two guys on recumbent cycles/trikes who are doing their own route based on the Southern Tier route.  I spoke to them but did not get a picture or their names… it was about 2 miles before I ended my day… the mind goes after a while.  One of the guys did say "it's like an arm chair race across the country."  Those seats look better and better every mile!

Another night at the Van Horn KOA. 

At the campground we met two other gentlemen cycling self-supported from West to East.  They’ve been on the road for 2.5 weeks and have customized the Southern Tier Route to include some hiking at the Guadalupe Mountains and will be going to Big Bend National Park in addition to other places before they head back to Munich, Germany.

Mario and Bernie

Site from the highway near Sierra Blanca

Some purple catus for Ariel

4 comments:

  1. "after nearly 2,000 miles" WOW, what a casual statement for such a huge accomplishment! I hope the wind continues to stay at your back and your time on the interstate is short, it sounds scarey!

    We're proud of you!!

    P.S. I like both the flowery and furry animal pictures, keep them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about the actual road surface as we drove through Texas. With our giant bus wheels, anything smaller than a basketball is pretty minor! But we love how pretty much every road there is suitable for large vehicles.

    That 80mph sign freaked me out, too, on the freeways. EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooo people -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. i fell in a cactus before not kidding

    ReplyDelete