3/2/11

Day 1 - Started West Today!

Atlantic Ocean March 1, 2011
I left Jekyll Island, GA this morning, it was mostly cloudy, turned partly cloudy with a high in the 60s, it was a perfect day to ride.  I smelled the sea and then the pines; I saw the blue skies of Georgia and felt the wind pushing me up and over the bridge off the island (and a little sideways when heading North); I saw redbuds in bloom and new pine seedlings growing.
Georgia Welcome Lei
I took a wrong turn within the first ½ mile… but after that did pretty well… OK there was the first turn out of the park, but I got straight before I went very far.  I used only the GPS today, following a route I had plotted out while in Ohio, from the Streets and Trip software, that stayed off main roads.  It worked great for the first 20-miles… after that I found that I had plotted the route onto logging roads, which turned out to be well-packed sand/dirt roads.  I was able to ride for about 5-miles, then the road got too mushy.  I walked about 5-miles, I’ve decided that counts as part of the cross-country cycling experience… 
So apparently it can get worse!
We are camping out for the first-time on the trip.  I am sure there will be more to say about that tomorrow… The campground is nice and small, it is a GA state park.

This is my dream come true, I really appreciate my husband’s support and love.  I couldn’t do it without him!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......get a motel 6 room. lol. SKYLINE WAS GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn and David - Thanks for including me in your BIG ADVENTURE! I'm looking forward to this virtual trip with you. Stay safe and strong. As always you have a place in VA and if you need a stopping place in AL or AZ I can help!

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Logging roads can go through some seriously gorgeous country, so I hope you have better luck on them on the future. Stay on your toes when you hear a logging truck coming; they can blast down a narrow, twisty dirt road like its an interstate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoAnn & David,
    What part of Georgia are you in? If I had been watching my twitter account a couple days earlier I would have been down there to cheer you on. Have a great experience. I'll keep watching your blog.
    Last Spring after I got home from the NJ floods I ran across a blog of a guy that walked from NJ to OR. Sounds like something I'd like to do.
    Later, bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! I look forward to following you as you ride (and walk) across the country. Your pictures and commentary are great. Ride on.

    Del

    ReplyDelete