3/30/11

Day 29, March 29, 2011, Tuesday Total Mileage 1238, Today 60 miles


Another cool, misty day, though today turned into actual rain; it warmed up by the afternoon… I was in my real bike clothes this afternoon.  I was in the middle of nowhere and hey, these legs have gone a thousand miles… might just show them off to the cattle!

Before baring my legs I stoped at Washington-on-the-Brazos Texas State Historic Site, it was pretty cool, though I didn't get to see all of it.  There's this other site that has some interactive stuff -- Ariel check this out: TexasIndependence.

Going for 60-miles again today, the temperature, the wind, etc were great.. then at 45 miles Ssssss, another flat! Same tire, that back tire has had more than its share of problems in the last few days!  Again the knight in a Subaru shows up, trades off bikes and I am off to finish 60 miles today!  Boy, it sure is great having my own private pit-crew; standing ready to help anytime, anywhere!!

We stayed at Yegua Creek Campground on the Corps of Engineer's Lake Somerville.


Shannan I thought of you when I passed through this town.  Looks like the kind of place just begging for a group of “like-minded” people to live.  Maybe some artist, some professionals that can work from the Internet; cause Richard, TX is pretty far from anywhere…

  

My niece, Ariel competed in the regional writing contest and her school won third place! So she and her team will be going to the state competion in May.

David took this picture just for Ariel!!  It's a shunk.


7 comments:

  1. Hey Jo Ann,
    Thanks for the shout-out! It makes me feel nice that you thought of me on your travels. I definitely will check into Richard, TX as a spot for my commune ;)

    Sorry to hear about the flat tires-- I'm sure that's frustrating. But, you are still making incredible progress! And you are lucky to have your own pit crew! David, though I haven't met you, I am very impressed with your dedication and resourcefulness.

    And Ariel, congrats on the writing contest win! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The miles are flying by now! You need to carry a stop-watch and time the tire changes by your pit crew ;)

    Great job Ariel, good luck at State!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo Ann,

    I am so proud to say that you are my friend! I wish I could do just a tiny bit of what you are doing! You go girl and I will have a beer for you tonight. I can't wait to hit the water with you when you return for the windsurfing season. Keep up the awesome work and I hope you really appreciate how lucky you are to have David's support.

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure if we are going to state but I think we are since my team won a placing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.
    Jo Anne could you review and talk about some of the gear you are using? Such as are you carrying a small pack? What do you use for navigation? Do you put "Slime' in your tires to prevent flats? What pace do you try to maintain? How are you communicating with the Chuck Wagon? Clips on your shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 60 mile days! Told ya it wouldn't be long until 50 milers would feel like short days. Broken spokes and flat tires come with the territory. As long as David is there to swap out bikes at a moment's notice, you're golden.

    MDR

    ReplyDelete
  7. whats a shunk? so your blog book is going to be revised, dont worry.

    ReplyDelete