3/21/11

Day 20 – March 20, 2011 – Sunday Total Mileage 778, Today 52 Miles

Happy first day of Spring!  It sure is spring here in the south…  Here's what I saw first thing this morning, as the car's tailgate popped...  fresh air, placid water, ducks floating on the pond, soft fog floating in the air, camp slowly waking.

And across the pond, a couple of people packing to set off cycling East, having been on the road for six-weeks coming from San Diego.  Jenny and Andy, from New York, brother and sister on the route together.  They've done a few long-distance rides in the past and wondered "what would it be like to just keep going?"  Well they are finding out now!  Good luck and good riding!


This was our campsite last night...


I noticed a lot of smells today, wisteria, onion or garlic, fresh cut grass and kind of extraordinary to me I noticed perfume or/and hair spray scent... it was Sunday morning and there were many cars going by with people "dressed" for church.  I could even smell a church when I went by... it smelled like perfume or hair spray.  Apparently I have become more sensitive to some odors.  I saw a broad-wing hawk, a kingfisher (bird), a deer ran across the road 10-feet in front of me, a turkey flying away across a clear-cut forest and a copperhead snake (dead).


Felt like a Queen at lunch in Jackson, LA


Glencoe Plantation - Located 6 mi. north of Jackson on Highway 68. Said to be one of the finest examples of Queen Anne architecture, this home was first built in 1870. The home burned and was rebuilt, exactly as the original, in 1903. It is listed on the National Register.

Crossed the Mississippi River today, still in Louisiana.  

That's us on the ferry!


THE RIVER

I met a "Southern Gentleman" in line for the ferry.  He was really the Wiseman of LA!  He mentioned a great campground in Morganza, LA, he told me to be careful about a couple of bridges up the route and just some general good advice.  Thank you!!

3 comments:

  1. Another 50+ mile day, keep up the good work! Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience with us!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am in total awe of your accomplishments and endurance! Ride on!!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey-I made a blog book of all your entries so far. Everyone at school is wanting to read it and my Reading teacher stole it so she could read it herself. Don't worry, I get it back tomorrow!! I LOVE YOU! And keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete