3/8/11

Day 6 – March 6, 2011, Sunday, Tallahassee, Fl 34 miles


It rained overnight and looked threatening this morning.  We seriously considered taking the day off as the rest of the week was forecasted to be fair.  But about 11:00 am I decided to go for a ride, the sun was breaking through the clouds and I was itching, no actually aching to go.  This was the first day I could feel an ach in my leg muscles, I wonder if my body misses the workout?  Of course my bottom and knees hurt, but my knees hurt anyway, and my bottom goes numb, so why not ride?

While staying at the KOA of East Tallahassee we met Captain America, on his cycling tour from Tampa to St Louis.  It was awesome to talk with someone who was riding a long distances too.  Turns out Dave VG completed the Southern Tier in 2009 from West to East; he was very willing to share his experience and his web-journals… I’ll be reading them backwards, to get an idea of what’s to come. 

Good weather, good roads and a good ride, to you Dave, it was a pleasure to meet and talk with you!  Dave’s blog site: Captain America Tours Again http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8212

All right, Maureen, you’re the prizewinner in the 1st Identify the Road Debris contest!  You correctly identified the object as an Englishman stuck in the muck, with his bumpershoot (umbrella) still intact!  Watch your mail for your fantastic prize, to be determined later.

Identify Road Debris contest continues, what is this?
Can you guess?



It was a bird day

While cycling today we came upon a Reenactment of the Battle of Natural Bridge which occured March 6, 1865 during the American Civil War.  At the end of day, the Union forces retreated to the protection of their fleet anchored at St Marks. With the Southern victory at the Battle of Natural Bridge, Tallahasse became the only Southern Capitol east of the Mississippi River not to succumb to military capture during the Civil War.
Natural Bridge is where the St Marks river temporarily flows underground then reemerges.

St Marks Bike Trail – under construction to be completed July 2011 

4 comments:

  1. could it be a disposable table cloth someone forgot to dispose of properly? The birds are awesome and so is your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Del, Not even close! Think much, much bigger... Babies have been known to swim in these but this is adult size. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A swimming pool! I think I finally have my laptop settings figured out so I can post comments . . . watch out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi,
    You are correct, it was a large, adult size swimming pool. Just left on the side of the road! Your wonderfully amazing prize will be in the mail to you as soon as the prize has been determined...

    ReplyDelete