3/27/11

Day 26 March 26, 2011, Friday Total Mileage: 1026, Today 50 miles


Broke 1000 miles today!  Thanks Mark R. for reminding me of this important milestone. Mark also shared with me earlier in the planning stages that “this ride can restore your faith in humanity” he is right!
I met a Father-Daughter Self Supported Team (Bob and Loni) headed West to California, then North along the Pacific Coastal Route.  I had a nice conversation with them between Kirbyville, TX and Buna, Tx helped us all forget about the strong headwind.  Very inspiring check out their blog at DoctorBobsBikeBlog.Blogspot.com  It was great to converse with people who had been experience the same things I have and compare notes and exchange advise.
Texas has wind also!
David suggested that I use his bike after lunch today.  I hate to admit it the road bike did seem to go faster in the wind.  With David's road bike, I was able to keep up with Bob and Loni (although they are carrying 50 lbs of camping gear, etc.) and I continued at a good clip (no odometer, etc. to really say if I went faster) not as comfortable as my hybrid, but fun to switch out.

Tonight, David and I almost adopted a dog.  He was running around kind of confused and seemed lost.  So David, the dog guy that he is made friends with him.  We were not able to find out who he belonged to or contact the dog warden (open Mon - Fri).  I could see that David wanted "Salibee" to warm the seat next to him on this trip.  He looked like a purebreed bloodhound and not much more than a year only and was very friendily.   By 9:30 pm I was convinced we would have to set the tent up for him.  But with a can of tuna and a quick get away in the car and we were not longer responsible.  David went back by this morning and saw that Salibee was still in the area and we are sure someone better equiped will take care of him and get him back to his owner.
More flower pictures - trying not to duplicate too many... there are just so many flowers blooming.







4 comments:

  1. 1,000 miles!! I am in awe of your accomplishment. It's all downhill from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!!! you are 1/3 of the way to your goal. Ride on. You go girl!!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Joanne and Dave,

    Hope all is great with you'all. Strong work, keeping your blog up-to-date. I'm still catching up. Got two pictures of you here:

    http://doctorbobsbikeblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/day-14-3262011-deridder-la-to-silsbee.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. sandi, i think there are still some mountains in the west.

    ReplyDelete