3/4/11

Day 2 – Just another perfect day for cycling!

Wow, I am liking GA, it’s flat, the temperatures are mild and just sunny enough!  I hope the entire trip continues to be so nice.  No extraordinary happenings today, unless me not getting lost counts… After yesterday’s experience I’ve decided that I will follow GA Bike Route 10, making a big assumption here that by following the State Bike Route I will stay off dirt/sand roads and highways that do not permitted bicycles.  Oh, I did get a glimpse of a live alligator today; it was still wet, shiny brown, just a tail sliding into coffee brown water.  Motivated me to keep peddling.

Camp #1 - Laura S. Walker GA State Park
While David fixed breakfast this morning I realized the cook-kit that we are using is the same one my family used on the first trip.  It feels like some kind of tradition is being established.  Ariel, Amber??? Either or both of you up for a cross-country camping trip? All this nostalgia got me thinking about my first trip west, over 40-years ago, the one that inspired this one. We were a young family of five, in the car for hours at a time; I remember singing songs and playing some different car games, like identifying the license plates of different states.  I was wondering if anyone remembers other car games that families played while on long trips.  Feel free to add your list in the comment section.
  
I started making up a game to pass the time while I was riding, you know, using what was available and at my speed.  David suggested that I provide a warning about some photos may be graphic. I do remember in college or shortly thereafter a book titled Flattened-Fauna a Field Guide to Common Animals of the Roads, Streets and Highways.  Yea, so I’m identifying road-kill, and other road debris.  Now you fellow outdoor-types know you’ve done this too and sometimes it’s the only wildlife you get to see. All though I did see a Great Blue Heron and a Red Tail Hawk.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah. I really dont think I want to leave my warm house with my Justin Bieber posters to sleep...OUTSIDE...-Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  2. We played "I Spy" on car trips. I also had a little bingo card with travel-oriented items to check off. You marked things you had seen by moving colored plastic sliders back and forth. Do you remember those?

    When I was a little older, my brother and I did Mad Libs.

    My Mom, brother and I sang lots of songs: rounds and some simple harmonies. My Dad wisely did not join in, as his singing can cause farm animals to stampede...

    ReplyDelete