3/10/11

Day #9 - March 9 2011 - Chuck Wagon Report #1


Today was an Rest day for Jo Ann.  Her plan is to take a Day Off about every seven days, with no riding and a stay in a Motel with a real bed.  We stretched it out an extra day this time because the forecast called for rain today and tonight.  So I am stepping in with a filler post.

The question I get asked the most (after “Is your wife crazy?”) is why I call the car the “Chuck Wagon”.  As anyone that has seen enough Westerns or read enough Louis L’Amour can tell you, the Chuck Wagon’s job is to go ahead to prepare camp and have a meal ready when the Saddle Sore/Weary rider come straggling in.  I felt that described my role: get Jo Ann in the saddle every morning, break camp, meet her somewhere with Lunch ready, and then make camp and have Dinner ready when she gets out of the shower.  The Chuck Wagon is the original cross-country trek support vehicle.


Cookware from the 1966 Dream Tour
As Jo Ann mentioned in an earlier post, we are using the cookware from the Epic Trip that inspired her present journey.  It forms the core of our Kitchen, along with an old-style Coffee Pot (used to heat water for Breakfast Cocoa and Oatmeal) and other utensils thrown into two Storage Tubs in the hasty last minute packing.  At least I have not had to improvise any implements out of scrap #12 electrical wire.  Belying its humble origins, it turns out the flatware is engraved!
Jo Ann's Father's Initials

As I work preparing meals with just three pans I imagine Jo Ann’s Sainted Mother preparing meals for five people in even more rugged conditions than the modern Campgrounds we are staying in.  I use the example of my own Sainted Mother preparing meals for six on our camping trips across the country.  I repeat the trips to the Water Spigot for a bucket of water that I made as a kid, I repeat the heating a large pot of water to wash dishes that I saw my mother put on the stove as we sat down to eat.  The actual meal preparation I missed because we kids were always off checking out the pool or playground after our setup chores were done.  When I walk into a Grocery in even the small towns we pass through and find fresh Produce and aisles of anything else you could possibly need I think “Is America a great country, or what?”.  Partly because I remember the meager pickings in the Camp Stores in the Campgrounds we stayed in.  I also missed any trips to real Grocery Stores because it was better to leave the kids at camp, or in the car, than try to ride herd on them in a strange store (and after being cooped up in a car for days, it was probably the real “vacation” for Mom to get away from us kids, and Dad, for even that brief period).  I just hope my cooking lives up to what my Mother did with even more limited resources, and that I can do as good a job with my “family” as the example my Mother, and Father, set.

So you “Sainted Mothers” reading this, what meals do y’all remember preparing?  And you other readers, what were your favorite camp meals?

4 comments:

  1. Keep the chuck wagon rolling! Since I am not a camper (as Jo Ann knows) I can't offer any suggestions on meals, etc. but I can say that you are one heck of a terrific husband and Jo Ann certainly made the right choice. Cycle and drive the chuck wagon on!

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mention camping meals and "Fake Meat and Seagull Gravy" pop into my mind immediately. Fake Meat is SPAM, of course. It was a staple on our family camping trips. Seagull Gravy is a longer story. Gravy, when camping, was powder and came from a packet. Add hot water and viola, gravy. One day in coastal New England, after being harassed by seagulls all day begging for food, we were having dinner. Someone asked "what kind of gravy is this?" A grumpy diner replied "I wish it was seagull gravy". The name stuck.

    Our SM (Sainted Mother) would plan the meals for the whole camping trip (3 -4 weeks) in advance and buy all dry and canned ingredients to be packed away in "Herbie" our 17' trailer. These meals not only fed our family of 6 but an Aunt, Uncle and cousin that we travelled with. Trips to the grocery store by SM during the trip were for perishables only, milk, bread, lunch meat and hamburger/hot dogs. Many u-turns were pulled for roadside vegetable stands for tomatoes, cantaloupes, peaches etc. Cherries were the mother lode!

    A typical menu for the day:
    Breakfast - Cold cereal & milk (hopefully with fresh peaches!)
    Lunch - Bologna sandwiches, fresh tomatoes if available and chips or pretzels if SM was in a good mood when shopping. And Kool-Aid, of course (another camping staple)
    Dinner - Hamburger Helper with a canned vegetable and Kool-Aid
    Bedtime snack - Campers cocoa or s'mores if we had a fire (btw s'mores were made with chocolate frosting not candy bars, my preference to this day!)

    The center of the Schindler camp cooking was the Camp Kitchen. It was a large plywood box with a hinged front (think drop-front desk). In it was the Coleman stove, cooking utensils, silverware, paper plates, condiments and even a kitchen sink! It was like a magic act watching SM pull things out. I think I saw her pull a white rabbit out of it once ;)

    The last staple to mention was the Candy Jar. SM filled it before we left. It was actually a large plastic container/tub and had hard candy, caramels etc. Never chocolate or other meltables as the car was not air conditioned. All of the good candy would go first and by the end of the trip it was pretty well picked over. You had to be desparate to take one of the last candies in the tub! One trip a raccoon tried to pry the lid off, so after that the lid contained the scars of that failed attempt.

    Good luck David, you have big shoes to fill! What’s for dinner tonight?

    Sandra (fellow water carrier on the Schindler camping trips)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya about the fresh produce in the grocery stores. Even within the time we've been doing cross-country motorcycle trips, the last 15 years, the quality and freshness of food available everywhere in the US has increased tremendously.

    When I was a kid, we didn't camp on our cross-country trip, but stayed in motels. I remember fondly many meals at Stuckey's, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma says she doesnt remember-Ariel

    ReplyDelete