3/24/11

Day 21 - March 21, 2011, Monday - Total Mileage: 830, Today 52 miles

Only 3-miles into this morning’s ride and I am invincible!!!  I crossed the Morganza Spillway bridge – with only a few log trucks, oversized construction trucks and one redneck in a red truck all the other traffic was courteous or un-notable. 
Morganza Spllway is a 2-lane, 1-mle long dam/bridge with posted speed of 55 mph, no shoulder to ride on and every ten-feet there’s a metal expansion grates. These clop or clatter every time a vehicle rolls over them, at points it sounded like a herd of wild horses overtaking me!  I was screaming from the adrenaline rush – I ain’t afraid of no truck (to the tune of Ghostbusters). By the end of the bridge, when from right behind me the red pickup blew his horn I said something to him, like you can’t scare me anymore – I’ve crossed the Morganza Spillway!

Then at about 30 miles, I crossed over the Atchafalaya River in Simmesport, LA another long narrow, high-level bridge, better in that it had a shoulder, littered with all kinds of debris and I could see the river below.  My top speed for the day was coming off this bridge about 20 mph.

The "Wiseman at the ferry" had mentioned these to points, but my experience sure makes this gentleman seem so much wiser…

We spent the night at Chicot Louisiana State Park, Ville Platte, LA.  It was a lovely spot, we walked around the camp area and met a couple from Ontario, Canada; they’d been in the area for a couple of weeks and were head back home – to the cold weather.

(No pictures posted due to technical difficulties)

No comments:

Post a Comment